Thursday 31 July 2008

greetings from afar...or, the wonders of modern technology


isn't it amazing what modern technology can do for a woman...here am I sitting on the top floor of my friend's wonderful Georgian riverside house in Cork City in Ireland (which she restored from a total ruin to sheer amazingness, almost singlehandedly) having a little holiday while working for my London "day job" and blogging. That this is possible is thanks to the equipment you see above, and not much else...(well, a hospitable friend or two does help)

I am in Ireland for a month in total but couldn't afford such a lengthy spell away from the "day job" so volunteered to put in a week in between my Hibernian travels. Intense rain on the West Coast meant that week should be this one. I left Mr G and the kids on a sodden beach in County Ciarrai (Kerry) having fun with their cousins and high tailed it back to civilisation.

I did get to have a 50th birthday celebration day out with all my sisters and my one and only brother last weekend. I can't remember the last time we were all together (we are flung about the globe and it is tricky to catch us all in one spot). It wasn't my birthday I hasten to add, but my darling brother Derek's. Happy Birthday Bro' - you are the best!

we had just had a delicious lunch in the pub behind (oooh, the crab was good) and I believe I was being berated for having my shades on...again!

No great photos of my travels in the beauty of Kerry to share yet, due to inclemency of weather.

But here is a snap of my pretty new shoes in case anyone is interested...
'cos I know you'll all be dying to see those...

and some lovely orchids I found in my friend's house...



Finally, news of a robot swap which I think you should all sign up for. I love robots. Just hope I'll be able to participate as I won't be back in the land of my fabrics, ribbons and threads for a little while yet.

right, I'm off to plan my evening with an old friend in the hostelries of Cork City tonight and my return trip to Kerry on Saturday...cross your fingers for a break in the rain!

(any internet villians out there - you may stop rubbing your hands with glee at the prospect of emptying my house while I am away, the Owens-Fernandos from Luxenbourg with their many beautiful children are in residence - I warn you : they are fierce!)

18 comments:

Unknown said...

oh, look at you over there on your holidays!

I have signed up for aforementioned robot swap. Hoorah!!!

x vInTaGe VioLeT x said...

ooh i really like your new shoes - looks/sounds like a lovely time in ireland and god damn it i was soooo going to rob your house - those pesky Owens-Fernandos have foiled my plans - grrrr

painted fish studio said...

i had to take a break from work and poke around... your new, blue shoes on flickr caught my eye! they're wonderful! have a fabulous time in ireland. i wish i was there!

Apryl said...

I have signed up for the robot swap.. I'm sure I shouldn't have but there you go. Looks like you are having a fab time with your family... wish we were there with you as it sounds like fun.

Ayama-chan said...

Buggar and there was me going to steal all your art supplies, cake stands and fab tea cups... Glad to see you have made the home and hearth safe from this cyber villian. But remind me I need to mug you on some street in Cork for those shoes. Ah a pair I can wear :D. Will see if one can snaffle a pair here (but would closed in toes just be too urg in this heat?? Why is everyone trying to tempt me into swaps at the moment?? Evil, you are.... Oh could you send some of the cool Irish weather here?? hot and balmy here..... Have fun in Ireland. Busy scavenging here for you as well.

Jennie said...

OOH glad you have having a good time. Those shoes are so pretty.
Hope the fierce family are taking good care of your abode :D

Anna - Three Sneaky Bugs said...

Have a wonderful holiday! Love those blue shoes.

ellie said...

Those shoes are simply lovely. And your dress very pretty, too.
Glad you are having such a good holiday, and managing to fit work in around it all.
Enjoy the rest of your time.

Nanette said...

the shoes! the shoes!

Gina said...

Even if you are having to work it does sound lovely - I have happy memories of Kerry. Love the shoes!

Unknown said...

Hope you are having a lovely vacation and the weather has improved because you should be out dancing all day long around the town in those pretty blue shoes! Love them!!!
~emily

angharad handmade said...

Hope you're having a great time (in spite of the working bit!). It must have been lovely to celebrate your brother's birthday with all your family. I see your anthropologie-inspired capelet has had its first outing - looks great! (and the sunglasses too!).

Things Hand Made said...

Fantastic shoes!

Jackie said...

I loved visiting Cork and Kinsale a couple of years ago. I remember drooling over very expensive bedlinen in Brown Thomas. there are such lovely things in the shops in ireland..and lovely people who don't get wound up when they are queueing up to get out of a car park and your ticket has expired...

Miaou said...

I love the shoes!!! I want some ...

KittyKat said...

Those shoes are lush, and that dress is divine, you glamourous thing you!

syko kajsa said...

Sounds like you are having a great time! Your shoes are gorgeous! I'm off to check out that robot swap, not that I have time for it, but you can always look, can't you...

susan said...

lovely shoes!!
are you still blogging?