Saturday 20 October 2007

a minor miracle involving the little red pencil case (and some other stuff)

I had some great news during the week from my craftastic sister Marion who came all the way from Ireland last weekend to make sure I wasn't lonely in Ally Pally and shared reminiscences about knitting, childhood and our mum with me over a lovely weekend. She texted me during the week to say she had been in her attic looking in our mum's old knitting bag for needles to start her latest project when she found, tucked away in the threadbare old bag, the very knitted red pencil case I mention in my profile. I can't believe my mum kept it all those years and must admit it brought (more than) a tear to my eye. I have to wait til I visit Marion to reclaim it as it has such enormous sentimental value that I don't dare entrust it to Royal Mail. Most of the sentimental value now is by virtue of the fact that my dear old mum (who sadly left this world and her knitting behind 15 years ago) kept it safe all those years while I had long forgotten about it. All together now...AAAWWHHH!



In the meantime, I started and am now half way through the scarf planned at Ally Pally. It's in Super Chunky hand painted yarn from the people at the www.hipknits.co.uk stand on 15mm needles. I had a bit of trouble getting started as I wasn't quite sure how to tackle the skeins of yarn and get them into some sort of knittable state . Indeed, after that experience I maintain the things should come with a health warning...
quite nice to knit with once you get past all that though...




What a busy week it was. On Thursday I went with my littlest daughter to East Dulwich ostensibly looking for some sensible brown boots. In fact we ended up in the charity shop (there are still one or two proper ones in ED in which I indulge all too infrequently a passion that began in those cash beleaguered student years) where we found some old curtains and a vintage tablecloth in a very sweet green and cream floral pattern. They'll do very well for a retro style creation or two...

in the same shop we found lots of 100% wool DK in pretty colours for about half what they cost in a regular shop. I bought 30 balls or so and will be using it for my "on the buses" project - crocheting afghan granny squares as I commute...

Am feeling quite inspired by all this...long may it last...

(Today's blog challenge was to get the images in line with the text, let's see how that looks)

No comments: